Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Little Blurb About Election '08

A Little Blurb About Election '08
M.D. Wright
11.4.08

I will keep this short, as I have studying to do and some other blogs to post before the end of this week. However, this historic event warrants a few thoughtful words on my part.

As an Independent who is not beholden to either party, I am not given to the pot shots and labeling that many of the people who grundgingly cling to their party affiliations are wont to resorting to. My wallet was and always is going to be my main concern when it comes to who the President. Everything else is up for grabs and I will adjust accordingly.

Having said that, as a Black man, I am happy to see Sen. Barack Obama become President-Elect of the United States, here on November 4, 2008. I have been truly following politics since I was five years old (my mother took me with her as she went out to hear Jesse Jackson and his supporters speak as he ran for President in 1984) and I have been politically inclined ever since. I followed the 1988 Election, which was much like this one, but everyone knew Jackson would not win.

THIS TIME, however, the anticipation built steadily throughout March and April... throughout the summer and again in the past couple of weeks when reality set in: Barack Obama was going to be elected the next President of the United States.

I think this campaign showed both how far we have come as a nation, but also how divided we still are, how racist MANY people still are (and swept it under the rug, hoping they'd never have to truly address it) and where peoples' minds and hearts really were. Everyone had an opinion. That was not the case in 1984, 1988, 1992 (although that election felt similar to 2008) and there was definitely a general feeling of apathy in 2000 and 2004.

As I watched John McCain's concession speech, I have to give him shouts for taking the high road and being gracious in defeat, not giving himself over to taunts and low blows. He was sincere. HOWEVER, as a lot of his supporters both at his speaking locale and here locally in North Carolina and elsewhere demonstrated, there are a LOT of hateful people out here. And I mean White people who hate Black people for no reason other than the fact they are Black.

WE HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO. And regardless of what you believe about party lines and what have you, McCain WILL uphold his word to "reach across the aisle" and work with Obama and the Dems to get this nation back on track. As far as the Body of Christ goes, we HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO. The two sticking points I have with Barack Obama are two of the main contigents for his being elected: 1) Homosexuals/Gay Rights Activists and Supporters and 2) Pro-Choice Abortionists. Personally, I don't anoint the President as Jesus Christ, Savior and Lord. The Church should be attacking these issues, instead of being scared to even mention them, because sex is STILL SO FRIGGIN' TABOO in the Church. Isn't it obvious that the things we REFUSE to deal with in the Church are the things that come back to bite us in the tail in the end...? Isn't that ALWAYS the case...? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW?

As for President Obama, I am happy for him, and I am happy as a Black man to have witnessed this IN MY YOUTH, and not crusty, old and bent over (no homo).

I think we're going to be alright, despite what senseless, no-matter-what-I'm-going-to-support-Republicans-just-because meatheads who think that if you do not fit into their Cookie Cutter image of America then you're wrong and they must change and control you. I think that is what turned me off from the Republican Party (2002-2007) and what has a lot of Democrats and especially Blacks and Latinos who DID NOT GROW UP LIKE WHITE PEOPLE and are naturally different, turned off to them as well. People need to realize that we are all different and have different gifts, talents, skills and perspectives. Just because we do not all agree that there is one way to skin a cat does not mean that the person who DISAGREES with you is WRONG. Democrats seem to have a lesser problem with this than Republicans. Think about it.

I want Republicans and Ultra-Conservatives/Bigots/Racists to take a LONG look at themselves and see the hatred and hypocrisy trail that they have left for everyone to see over the past nine months or so.

No comments:

Text

MDW