Monday, January 25, 2010

Favorites Spree

Favorites Spree
M.D. Wright
1.25.10


***EDITOR'S NOTE: As a spinoff to my Pet Peeves of the Day, I am also compiling a Favorites Spree on a semi-daily basis. With this issue, I will be listing some of my favorite words that have entered my vernacular over the past 15 years. The use of archaic wordage and unique verbiage is amusing to me because there are so many ways to express yourself using the English language.


As a wordsmith and as someone who literally studied the dictionary in elementary, middle and high school and parts of college, I have stumbled across words that just stick with me for whatever reason. Some of them are hilarious when pronounced phonetically. Some just look funny in script. Either way, here is a quick rundown of my favorites and why they made the list.


1. FLUMMOX.
Meaning:
To confound, confuse, to cause one to be at a loss.


Usage: "Brad Childress' stubborn play-calling and Brett Favre Worship, even after his continued misguided gunslinging still flummox me to this day."


I just love how it sounds, especially with someone who has a lisp ha. But even writing it is hilarious. Some people see it and say "WHAT ON EARTH???" and I go, "Exactly" ha.


2. VERBIAGE.
Meaning:
Active use of verbs and verb tenses in a phrase.


Usage: "The Bears don't use complex verbiage in their cadence, they just line up and go at the other team."


You know what my first encounter with this word was? Not in high school English. Not in college, but listening to a NFL broadcaster call a game and describing a Quarterback's hard count back in the late 80s. I kind of had an idea of what the word meant back then, but now it is part of my everyday vernacular.


SEGUE.


3. VERNACULAR.
Meaning:
Means by which one speaks and expresses one's self with words.


Usage: "This is a typical example of my everyday vernacular."


It just seems like a whole lot to say very little. Sort of like listening to certain foreign languages only to find out "THAT'S ALL THEY SAID??? SHEESH. I heard 5 sentences worth of chatter!"


SEGUE II


4. SEGUE
Meaning:
A transition from one thought or process to another; a seamless connection.


Usage: "This is a perfect segue for my story, thanks for the idea!"


Again, my first encounter with this word came from the sports world. I want to say Dan Patrick used it when he hosted SportsCenter on ESPN back in the late 80s or so who knows?


5. ASSUAGE.
Meaning:
To coddle, massage, cater to one's whims and desires.


Usage: "Surely you don't expect me to stand here and assuage your guilt. Own up to your mistakes and move forward."


I love certain words that, to the common listener or reader, seem not to have any meaning connection to the phrase and context in which they are being used. This is certainly one of those words. Plus I just love saying it, particularly when someone thinks they've out-witted me.

No comments:

Text

MDW