Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sports & Music

Sports & Music
M.D. Wright
1.28.10


***EDITOR'S NOTE: Continuing the "Favorites" theme, this post is about a few random thoughts -- the connection and interaction between music and sports.


You all know me. I am the Sports Guy. I am a walking music almanac, having been collecting music since 1985 and having a database of 70,000 records across all genres (literally). Some of you go as far back as 6th grade with me, when I began keeping my "Stat Book" (this was pre-internet, you know, when you actually had to do some serious reading, research and compiling to get your information into a binder -- 1990, 1991, etc.) Guys like Antonio Townsend and Rod Glover remember, as Tony kept a stat book also back then. I'm the same way with music. I am a geek, especially when it comes to the business and legal side of the music industry. I learned about the importance of reading liner notes, understanding the significance of publishing, royalties, getting "points" on a record and the benefits of executive producing a record (even if you have no real input on it -- as some big wigs that I won't name currently do).


But one thing that will ALWAYS strike a chord with me is when some of my favorite rappers or even singers mention sports figures in their rhymes. I can name lyrics all day (literally) and I think almost more than anything else, those sports-tinged lyrics stand out to me more than anything else.


Here's one of my all-time favorites by Cam'ron:


"We like Bird, Parish, Kevin McHale... Scott, Worthy, Jabbar and Magic... oh my God, it's magic... Isiah, Dumars, I will carve your casket... Phil, Scottie and Mike... Phil, Shaq and Kobe... my gats will detach you homie..." -- from "We Are The Champions", Diplomats, Vol. III Mixtape. Fitting title.


But rather than me name lyrics all day, give me some feedback: take a gander at this post, no matter the genre, think of some songs with sports-influenced lyrics and post them here for me. Let's have fun with this one.


DISCUSS>>>

No comments:

Text

MDW