Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Favorites: Today's 5 - TOP 25 SOUNDTRACKS SINCE 1980

My Favorites: Today's 5 - TOP 25 SOUNDTRACKS SINCE 1980
M.D. Wright
2.17.10

***EDITOR'S NOTE: Back with the Favorites Series after a week-long hiatus. May be a purge of them, so be prepared.

Today's 5: TOP 25 SOUNDTRACKS SINCE 1980.

Anytime I have to condense my musical tastes down to anything under a limit of 25, it is extremely tough. I almost think the best way for me to do these is to go rapid fire and go with the first one that comes to mind. Of course what that leads to is a lot of people being offended and inquiring why the soundtrack that got them through a bad season or a breakup in high school isn't listed ha. But hey, I'll do my best (since my tastes are very good if I do say so myself) to do the list justice. As always, feel free to chime in and give me your feedback. As a matter of fact, I encourage it.

1. NEW JACK CITY (1991).

Ushered in a new era of music and defined an entire generation in one album. If you weren't feeling this back then, something was seriously wrong with you. Christopher Williams had probably the headlining jam off the soundtrack with the classic song, "Dreamin'".

2. SUNSET PARK (1996).

This was that summer jam that year. The summer of '96 was great in many regards, but this soundtrack was the THEME of the summer, I think many people who were coming of age or in their 20s at the time will agree.

3. JUICE (1992).

2Pac making his debut and doing it in classic form. Oh, and Rakim spitting on "Know The Ledge" will never get old.

4. BOOMERANG (1992).

Say what you want about the movie, but the soundtrack was great. All those slow jams and this comes out as I am entering 8th grade -- which was a pretty good year for me.

5. WAITING TO EXHALE (1995).

NO SKIPS ALBUM. You have to be in that mindframe though. And I don't mean Angela Bassett lighting ol' boy's clothes on fire in the car, but the mellow/slow mood.

6. KRUSH GROOVE (1985).

WHEN HIP-HOP WAS STILL HIP-HOP.

7. THE BODYGUARD (1992).

Whitney headlined it and it's a classic.

8. ABOVE THE RIM (1994).

THAT SUMMER WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE TOP 3 SUMMERS EVER FOR ME. It was an overall great year in general. I will not argue this. This was the soundtrack of the summer of '94.

9. BROWN SUGAR (2002).

Just a nice, mellow, slow jam, quiet storm type album.

10. GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN' (2005).

50 at his apex.

11. GIRL 6 (1996).

Because you-know-who produced it and threw some of his best slow jams on there.

12. LOVE & BASKETBALL (2000).

An excellent mix of slow jams from back in the day and some newer songs that have become classics. It is one of the better examples of when a soundtrack fits a movie perfectly; scene for scene, throughout.

13. LOVE JONES (1997).

I honestly liked the movie more than the soundtrack at first, but as I dug in the crates and sometimes listen to some of these songs on the artists' individual albums at times, I realize how well it was put together.

14. NEW YORK UNDERCOVER (1995).

Vintage mid-90s music.

15. NOTORIOUS (2009).

Because it features BIGGIE.

16. PLAYER'S CLUB (1998).

The movie was so good that I sometimes forget about the soundtrack, but Cube, Mack 10 and Kurupt definitely did their thing -- along with others -- on here.

17. STREETS IS WATCHING (1998).

Back when I was a fan of Jay. I had the movie and the soundtrack and I swear I watched it 50 times that year. Maybe it was blind fandom, or because I was living in Brooklyn at the time, but what have you, it was excellent in my eyes. But I don't know that it would appeal to others if you weren't on the wave in '98.

18. RUSH HOUR (1998).

Just like the movie, the soundtrack hits you like a torrent of 25 great songs. Those first two Rush Hour movies/soundtracks were something to behold in the late 90s.

19. SET IT OFF (1996).

Another soundtrack that you'd have to be in that type of mode to really fully appreciate.

20. SHAFT (2000).

No individual classic songs, but fused together, it works.

21. HIGH SCHOOL HIGH (1996).

All I know is I was fiending for more Wu when this movie/soundtrack came out, and I got what I wanted. "Wu-Wear: Garment Renaissance" is one of my all-time favorite songs. And contrary to what non-Hip Hop heads may think, RZA MURDERED THAT SONG -- both the production that he used and his lyrics on the first verse.

22. THE PREACHER'S WIFE (1996).

I am guilty of two chick flicks and soundtracks. Sue me.

23. SOUL FOOD (1997).

I dunno, it just works for me.

24. THE BEST MAN (1999).

I think the music fit the scenes perfectly and it didn't detract from the movie itself. You want a good background for particular scenes, and for the poignant ones, the songs were perfect.

25. DEAD PRESIDENTS (1995)

COMING OF AGE ALBUM. If you were in high school back then, who DIDN'T love this?

Honorable Mention:
Bulworth (1998).
Hav Plenty (1998).
48 Hrs (1982).
Beverly Hills Cop (1984).
Coming To America (1988).

DISCUSS>>>

No comments:

Text

MDW