Thursday, December 24, 2009

Law & Finances -- The Crux Of This Blog And What I Aspire To Do

Law & Finances -- The Crux Of This Blog And What I Aspire To Do
M.D. Wright
12.24.09

Some have wondered aloud to me "why 'Law and Finances'?" in reference to the title of my blog -- given that I talk mostly about Sports and Music. As with most things pertaining to me, there's more to it than meets the eye. To understand me, to be around me, you have to ALWAYS be thinking; because I AM. I'm like an artist "before his time", or a basketball player whose game was before his time, or a rapper who uses metaphors, slang and wordplay that is before his time and people deem as elementary because they can't decipher it on the surface.

But let me break things down a bit.

People think "Law" and think "Law & Order" and the courtroom. I have no desire nor plans to work in a courtroom setting. Most of my legal work will involve contracts at the negotiating table and working on Wall St. as a Financial Advisor. Indeed, I've worked on Wall St. already and gaining more expertise in the area of Financial Advising.

As many of you know, I obtained my Life, Health & Accident Insurance License in 2006. Prior to that, I had been approached by several companies (one of my regrets in life being that I didn't take advantage of what they offered at the time) to become a Financial Services Advisor. At the time, I saw "commission"/sales and balked. Truth is, back between 2000-2004, I had very little fiscal responsibility and tons in assets. I had the flexibility to do it then. I dropped the ball.

It wasn't until I had reached my wits' end that I returned to this, through that prophetic word God sent through my friend in 2004.

I've always had a calling on my life to do three things: 1) Help/Teach people 2) Use my musical ability and subsequently-attained knowledge of the music industry and 3) Work in sports in several capacities. Those of you who knew me years ago both in Greensboro and in New York know I was a year-round athlete, playing almost every sport and excelling in nearly all of them. I was one of the fastest guys in high school, I had a jump shot that most guys had nightmares guarding against, I (tried) to emulate Deion Sanders playing cornerback at football, I had a rifle of an arm while playing right field in baseball and softball, I am an avid swimmer (I suck at tennis, however ha), and maintain a 208 average in bowling and trying to get under 20 handicap in golf (after a 2 year layoff).

Needless to say, I have a calling in sports. I also want to do voice over work in sports, broadcast journalism, become an offensive line coach, own a team, you name it. I want to coach (again -- as I coached high school basketball for 3 years in the past). I want to be immersed in sports and music.

I played drums, keys and guitar before I even got to the 5th grade. I read sheet music (Thanks to Mrs. Mooring) before I was 10 and played a number of melodies on the keys. I had learned my chords on the guitar, but did not stick with it -- and I played drums for 7 years before being forced to give it up in 1994; still haven't gotten back to it. But with all those abilities, along with a desire to produce sounds and beats, coupled with the newfound digital technology we have at our disposal nowadays -- not to mention the bevy of talented singers and rappers I have around me -- I have unlimited potential.

But back to my original point -- I named this blog Law & Finances because everything I do and will do has a legal and fiscal connotation or underpinning involved with it. I had always thought about becoming a policeman and later entering into the legal profession after watching my mom work with the then-judge of Vance County in North Carolina for years. I don't even know what that guy does now, probably a DA or something ha, but with that, I kind of had a leg up when learning how to handle my business growing up. It spills into everything I do. I actually put the attorney generals in New York and North Carolina to good use, because I actually understand what their role is. Knowing that early on in life helped.

I also learned a lot about finances and managing them. Starting with my parents, then on to a close family friend, Mr. Terence Franklin, who gave me a wealth of insight into real estate investing, to a local millionaire who had shown me a few of the ropes to investing in real estate, life insurance, stocks and starting businesses. I learned quite a bit back in the latter part of the 1990s and first part of this decade.

People tell me that the trials that began to flood into my life in the past 4 years are there to help remind me of where I was brought from and to be able to relate to the people I will forever serve. That may be true, but one thing is for certain, it doesn't have to wait until then. I can do it with this blog, for starters, and that is what I hope I am doing -- aside from all the football talk, relationship banter and random thoughts, there is a wealth of information about legal procedure out there, as well as insight into the music industry, the sports field and starting businesses in general. I did not want to bore people by blogging about those topics since I began this blog in 2006, but I would not be doing justice by not sharing information that is vital to a new generation of up-and-comers.

Be on the lookout for that WAVE. In 2010, if you are not taking advantage of the multitude of opportunities and the influx of information at your disposal, you're NOT WAVY.

DECEMBER 24, 2009. I'm giving it to you BEFORE Watch Night ha.

No comments:

Text

MDW